Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brandy Kowal
    Participant

I’m hoping to be able to discuss some of the worksheets as I work through the MBE course.

For example: I am stuck with the “rational mind” and thinking of examples of this. I realize I tend to be more of an emotional thinker. But in order to eventually help others with this reflection, I would like to better understand it myself. Can someone assist with examples of this? For myself, I think I tend to assume people will know and follow rules/expectations or just generally do what is morally right. When they do not do this. Although this leads to an emotional response for me (when people do not meet my expectations) I believe the thought itself is a “rational” one. Is this the right track?

Charlton Hall
    Keymaster

I may be showing my age here, but I use the Star Trek analogy of Mr. Spock…Rational Mind is devoid of emotion and is logical, rational, and can sometimes be seen as cold or uncaring, although that is not necessarily what is going on in that situation.
    Rational Mind is ‘Doing Mode;’ engaging our problem-solving skills. It’s what weighs the costs and benefits of a given action or solution to a problem.
    Does this help?

Brandy Kowal
    Participant

Yes, I think this is helpful thank you. So this makes me think of the stereotypes around policy wonks- an inability to be flexible to the policy they are writing or applying. Although I’m a policy lover myself and this is not how I “do” policies. So it is not as cold as it appears. Rather, I can use policy to inform decisions (rational) but balance this with context (emotional).
    Perhaps also when I assume others will simply know to do what I believe is the right thing because it makes logical sense in my mind.

Brandy Kowal
    Participant

Worksheet 1.13 re. the Three P’s.
    For those, such as myself, who have struggled with a trauma history, sometimes we react in emotional/physical ways without awareness of the thought or reasoning behind these reactions. I see mindfulness as a tool to help us in this way. But this worksheet was quite challenging. For example- “I feel like people are judging me” is the personal thought but knowing why I feel this way is significantly harder. I suppose my question (or what I am seeking reassurance on) is that the goal for ourselves and others can be about developing awareness of the feeling and working from there?
    A personal example: I have previously felt uneasy around certain types of men (a “pervasive” experience). I was unaware of this until several years ago. Since becoming aware of the reaction I had around these particular types of men, I have become aware of it’s connection to a historical experience. Now that I am aware of the feeling, aware of where it comes from, I am able to compassionately challenge this. This feels a bit backwards from the worksheet, but I am hoping this is still in line with the intention of this exercise?

It is quite possible I am overthinking this!

Kristen Rudy
    Participant

Hi Brandy, I’m taking the MBEF training and just completed the Wise Mind/Rational Mind/Emotional Mind worksheets. I enjoyed being asked what were the components or factors that allowed me to have a wise mind or rational mind.

I can understand what you’re saying about trauma and how it can sometimes be hard to differentiate.
    Kristen

Charlton Hall
    Keymaster

There’s also vicarious trauma, where therapists who deal with trauma on a daily basis get traumatized themselves by hearing about the trauma of others. It’s the double-edged sword of being an empath.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.