- CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE
- Target Audience: Mental Health Professionals
- Live, Interactive Webinar Continuing Education Hours: 2 (Two)
- Thursday, March 7, 2024 – 10 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST
Gender-Affirming Care Myths vs. Realities Course Description
Please note that course time above is Pacific Standard Time.
In gender-affirming care, a plethora of myths persist, often fueled by misinformation and societal misconceptions. One prevalent myth is that gender-affirming care is solely about medical interventions or surgeries, overshadowing the comprehensive and individualized nature of such care. In reality, gender-affirming care encompasses a broad spectrum of supportive measures, including mental health services, hormone therapies, and social transition support.
Another myth revolves around the assumption that only binary gender identities are valid, neglecting the diverse and nuanced experiences of individuals across the gender spectrum. The reality is that gender-affirming care recognizes and respects the identities of non-binary, genderqueer, and gender non-conforming individuals. Dispelling these myths is essential for fostering a more inclusive and informed understanding of gender-affirming care, ultimately promoting the well-being and dignity of individuals seeking these crucial services.
In this webinar we will examine some of the myths and realities of gender-affirming care using the World Professional Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care Version 8.
Gender-Affirming Care Myths vs. Realities Course Objectives
After successfully completing this course the student will be able to:
- Discuss and describe some common myths regarding gender-affirming care
- Discuss and describe the scientific literature on gender-affirming care
- Discuss the WPATH Standards of Care in gender-affirming care
- Describe a rationale for the use of gender-affirming care
- Discuss how gender-affirming care can save lives
- Discuss what the literature says regarding gender-affirming care’s “regret rate”