TARGET AUDIENCE: Licensed Mental Health Professionals
Online continuing education hours: 10
NBCC Approval: Yes
Ecotherapy for Therapists
Ecopsychology is the study of how the natural world impacts mental well-being. Ecotherapy is the therapeutic application of this knowledge. This online and experiential course will introduce you to some of the basic skills, techniques and research in the field.
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss and describe the concept of Ecopsychology
- Discuss and describe the concept of Ecotherapy
- Discuss some of the characteristics of the Green Care model
- Describe a rationale for the use of ecotherapy in therapeutic settings
- Discuss the roots of ecotherapy in indigenous shamanism
- Discuss Nature Deficit Disorder as proposed in the book, Last Child in the Woods by Louv
- Describe some of the research into Nature as Nurture
- Discuss some research in Nature and Child Development
- Discuss the Eco-Educative Model proposed by Pedretti-Burls (2007)
- Discuss how ecotherapy facilitates mindful states
- Discuss ecotherapy for treating addiction
- Discuss ecotherapy for treating trauma
- Describe and discuss some ethical issues of ecotherapy
- Name some colleges that offer ecotherapy programs
- Discuss some future directions for ecotherapy
Courses are best viewed using Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or Internet Explorer. Other browsers may create login issues. If you are having difficulty logging in, please switch to one of these browsers or empty your browser’s cache.
This course is approved for NBCC credit for online continuing education.
The Mindful Ecotherapy Center has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7022. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Mindful Ecotherapy Center is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
All course materials are evidence-based, with clearly defined learning objectives, references and citations, and post-course evaluations. Upon request a copy of this information and a course description containing objectives, course description, references and citations will be given to you for your local licensure board. All online courses and webinars contain course objectives, references and citations as a part of the course materials; however, it is your responsibility to check with your local licensure board for suitability for continuing education credit if your licensing board does not recognize National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) approval. No warranty is expressed or implied as to approval regarding jurisdictions outside of the United States or its territories or for organizations that do not accept NBCC approval for continuing education courses.