Suicide Risk Assessment and Prevention
Target Audience: Mental Health Professionals; Professional Counselors & Therapists
Online Continuing Education Hours: 1.75
NBCC Approval: Yes
This is a FREE course. To take the course, click the “Add to Cart” button and create an account. Once you have created an account and a password, you will be able to use it to login to the course materials.
This online continuing education course in Suicide Risk Assessment and Prevention is FREE for mental health professionals. It covers some common myths about suicide, suicide statistics, how to perform a basic suicide risk assessment, how to complete a suicide prevention action plan, and how to implement basic de-escalation strategies in a therapeutic crisis situation.
Suicide Prevention Course Objectives
- Identify and refute some common myths about suicide
- Identify some of the early warning signs of a potential suicide attempt
- Be able to discuss some current statistics regarding suicide
- Be able to discuss some age group differences regarding suicide
- Be able to conduct a basic suicide risk assessment
- Be able to discuss the PPI method of suicide risk assessment
- Be able to complete a Suicide Prevention Action Plan
- Be able to complete a No-Harm Contract and Action Plan
- Be able to use the Suicide-Homicide Ideation Decision Flowchart
- Define “de-escalation”
- Discuss the importance of de-escalation strategies in crisis prevention
- Describe and be able to use the LEAP de-escalation model
- Identify and use some common resources on suicide prevention
This course is approved for NBCC credit for online continuing education.
The Mindful Ecotherapy Center has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7022. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Mindful Ecotherapy Center is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
All course materials are evidence-based, with clearly defined learning objectives, references and citations, and post-course evaluations. Upon request a copy of this information and a course description containing objectives, course description, references and citations will be given to you for your local licensing board. All online courses and webinars contain course objectives, references and citations as a part of the course materials; however, it is your responsibility to check with your local licensing board for suitability for continuing education credit if your licensing board does not recognize National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) approval. No warranty is expressed or implied as to approval regarding jurisdictions outside of the United States or its territories or for organizations that do not accept NBCC approval for continuing education courses.