Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy combines the skills of mindfulness with the healing power of nature.
MBE is used as a framework for helping individuals and families to find deeper connections in their own lives, and to give more meaning and enjoyment to the activities of daily living. By re-integrating ourselves with nature, we are able to tap into nature’s healing power and to heal the earth as we heal ourselves.
The Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Workbook and the Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Workshop series were developed by Charlton Hall as a 12-week program to help individuals re-connect with the healing power of nature. The series meets once per week for 90 minutes, usually in an outdoor setting. The first six sessions cover the skills of mindfulness, and the next six sessions cover integrating mindful skills into ecotherapy. The six mindful skills are about “what” to do, and the six ecotherapy skills are about “how” to do it.
Each of the twelve sessions covers a distinct skill that builds on previous skills, and provides activities and interventions that can be used in both group and individual therapy sessions.
Since we first began offering the program in 2015, response has been overwhelming, so we began to offer the facilitator training to mental health professionals all over the world. If you are interested in running your own Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy program, this is the course for you! By purchasing all of the courses together, you save 20% over buying the courses individually.
There are five courses that you must complete before applying for facilitator certification. These courses are all included in this package. These are:
- Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy in Clinical Practice – 15 hours
- Mindfulness: An Introduction – 6 hours
- Ecotherapy: An Introduction – 6 hours
- Running a Successful Group – 5 hours
- Running a Successful Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Group – 5 hours
TOTAL HOURS = 37
You may take the courses in any order you wish. All courses must be completed successfully prior to applying for certified facilitator status. Once you have completed all five courses, you will need to write a case presentation using the guidelines below. There is no required length for the presentation; however, it must address the criteria outlined below.
Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Case Presentation
When applying for certified facilitator status you will need to submit your case presentation along with your application. The case presentation should meet the following criteria below.
First, select one of the 12 skills of Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy and practice is with at least one of your clients. Remember to use pseudonyms when writing your case presentation so that your client’s confidentiality and privacy are respected. You may wish to have them sign a disclosure statement giving you permission to use their information anonymously.
Next, write your case presentation based on the outcome of the session in which you taught your client the selected Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy skill. Your presentation should address the following questions:
- Which Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy skill did you choose, and why?
- How did your client respond to learning the skill?
- What is your client’s presenting problem/diagnosis?
- How did the skill relate to the client’s diagnosis?
- How is the skill you chose to use with your client similar or different to your usual therapeutic approach?
- What are your client’s goals for treatment?
- Did the skill you presented help or hinder those goals? How and why?
- Were there any mitigating factors that might have affected the outcome of the session?
- Will you be using more MBE skills with this client in the future? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Any other pertinent information you may wish to include on integrating Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy into your practice.
When you have completed all of the course work required for certification as a Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy facilitator, email your case presentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may send it in the body of the email or as a pdf attachment to the email. When sending your case presentation, also send the name and email you used on your account when you completed the course work. We need this information so we can verify successful completion of the required courses.
When your case presentation is received, it will be evaluated. Please allow up to two weeks for evaluation. If your evaluation is successful, you will be sent a link to the Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Certified Facilitator Application. Complete the application and you will receive a Certified Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Program Facilitator in pdf format.
If your case presentation is unsatisfactory for any reason, you will receive an email explaining why and you will be given an opportunity to revise your presentation.
If you have any questions about these changes, please complete the contact form below for further information.