This self-guided online course is good for 10 hours of online home study continuing education in ecotherapy.
- Ecopsychology is the study of how nature impacts mental health and psychological and emotional wellbeing
- Ecotherapy is applied ecopsychology; i.e. applying the tools and techniques of ecopsychology in a therapeutic environment
In this online study course, we will look at some of the principles of applied ecotherapy, as well as some of the tools and techniques. We’ll also examine recent research in the field, consider how to introduce ecotherapy into your own private practice, and learn about some of the benefits of the healing power of nature.
ECOTHERAPY: AN INTRODUCTION
Charlton Hall, LMFT/S, RPT-S is a board-approved sponsor of continuing education in South Carolina, permanent sponsor #495. This course is approved for Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists and Licensed Professional Counselors in South Carolina. The course materials are evidence-based with clearly defined objectives; however it is your responsibility to check with your local licensure board for course approval for credit prior to enrolling in this course. No warranty is expressed or implied. A list of citations and references is provided in the course materials for your records.
INSTRUCTOR CONTACT INFORMATION
You may contact the instructor by clicking here or by mail at
Mindful Ecotherapy Center
PO Box 102
Cleveland SC 29635
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss and describe the concept of Ecopsychology
- Discuss and describe the concept of Ecotherapy
- Differentiate between Ecopsychology and Ecotherapy
- Discuss some of the characteristics of the Green Care model
- Describe a rationale for the use of ecotherapy in therapeutic settings
- Discuss the history of ecotherapy
- Discuss the roots of ecotherapy in indigenous shamanism
- Discuss Nature Deficit Disorder as proposed in the book, Last Child in the Woods by Louv
- Describe and discuss some types of ecotherapy interventions
- Describe some of the research into Nature as Nurture
- Discuss some research in Nature and Child Development
- Discuss the Eco-Educative Model of Ecotherapy proposed by Pedretti-Burls (2007)
- Discuss how ecotherapy facilitates mindful states
- Discuss some health benefits of ecotherapy
- Discuss ecotherapy for treating addiction
- Discuss ecotherapy for treating trauma
- Describe and discuss some ethical issues of ecotherapy
- Name some colleges that offer ecotherapy programs
- Discuss some future directions for ecotherapy
This is a self-directed online introductory course in ecotherapy. While this course is a part of the requirements to become a certified Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy Facilitator, it is also a stand-alone course that gives the student a good basic grounding in the principles and practices of ecotherapy.
The course materials include a pdf PowerPoint presentation on ecotherapy and several handouts. You may review the course materials for free by scrolling down and clicking on the links below. The handouts also include a list of course objectives and a list of references and citations.
PURCHASING THIS COURSE
When you click on the button to purchase the course you will be directed to a Paypal site to complete your transaction. When your purchase is completed, you will be automatically directed to a web page where you will download the course materials. This page also contains a link to the post-test you will have to pass in order to complete this course. BOOKMARK THIS DOWNLOAD PAGE so you may refer to it as needed.
In order to get credit you will have to read the materials then pass the post-test. No partial credit is available.
When you have satisfactorily completed all of the worksheets and the post-test (passing grade is 70%) you will automatically be emailed a Certificate of Completion in pdf format.
COMPLETING THE COURSE
STEP 1: Purchase the course
STEP 2: After completing your Paypal transaction you will be directed to a download page. BOOKMARK THIS DOWNLOAD PAGE. Download the PowerPoint and course materials you will need to complete to get credit for the course. Read through the PowerPoint and the supplemental worksheets, and do the five experiential ecotherapy exercises listed on the handout below.
STEP 3: The post-test for this course must also be completed with a score of 70% or higher. If you do not achieve 70% on your first time with the test, you will be given an opportunity to correct your answers.
NOTE: You will not be emailed a Certificate of Completion unless you have purchased the course.
STEP 4: Upon successful completion of the post-test, you will be issued a Certificate of Completion. This course is part of the requirements for certification in Mindfulness-Based Ecotherapy, but it may also be used as stand-alone credit.
If you have any questions about this course, the materials, or how to complete the course materials, please feel free to contact me.